Saturday, November 15, 2008

Is it just me....

or have veterinarian prices just gotten WAY out of control???

Dang, we took the two kitties in for shots and we spent $242.50! We aren't even done yet, we have to go back in, in three weeks for boosters and a "poop check". God only knows how much it will cost us to get their little "hysterectomies".

We have stopped taking our parrots in for their "well birdie" check ups b/c it is too costly anymore ~ two years ago we spent $300 just for a couple blood tests.

A few years ago, we spent over $6,000 on our two dogs and one 20 yr old cat that got very sick.

Our 9 yr old German Shepard got cancer and we tried to save her with surgery, but she died a few months later. Our Golden Retriever had lupus and after all kinds of treatments and a leg cast, and we still ended up having to put her down. We are going to have to re think trying to save them. It's just too costly now days.

We always joke around while we are waiting to see the vet and make a bet how much each visit will cost... and we rarely get out of a vet office for less than $300.

It's almost too expensive to have pets anymore.

15 comments:

reliv4life said...

you are right - it is outrageous!! I agree 100%

Me, Myself, And I said...

Just a thought, if you cats are indoor cats they do NOT need rabies shots.
Its a waste of money.
Check it out with your Vet.

Rebecca said...

We're thinking about getting a dog... now I am rethinking it. Yikes!

Grandma W said...

Loving animals is an investment in love, time and money. They appear to need the same medical maintenance as people.

My two dogs remind me when it is time to take their thyroid and/or heart medications twice a day. I even cook groud beef 90% fat free once a week for the administration. My 14 year old, Mr. Higgins, can find the smallest pill in anything wrapped around it. Dang Not too spoiled. Ha Ha

Shelley said...

That is so much money! How about pet insurance? I know our shelter offered it once I adopted my kitty.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

We have looked into pet insurance.. but a lot of stuff is not covered...
and we found it would be a waste of money....

and we have to get all shots since we are meeting w/ the foster people next week...
our license is getting renewed to foster kids....

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I know exactly what you mean! We spent over $200 just to have our cat fixed and declawed. (2 paws)


Don't even get me started on how much we spent on the stinking dog we gave to my sister in law!

*sigh*

WeaselMomma said...

I always tell them to keep it cheap and ask how much to put the animal down. They get the idea and try to do as little as necessary.

Chris H said...

Vet charges here are astronomical too... so much so that we only take our pet when it is absolutely necessary! And if surgery is needed.... but won't save the animal... well I'm sorry to say the pet is put to sleep (we had to put a cat to sleep years ago). People come first in this house!

Chris H said...

Pet Insurance! Pffffft, once I'd read the small print it boiled down to you were covered for next to nothing! Waste of money.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about this.
I know all about it from experiance.

Good luck

Daniela said...

Yea, don't do pet insurance. I work for a non profit spay/neuter clinic. Www.humanealliance.org You should check and see if there is one in your city. We have opened over 40 clinics across the country. Our prices are 55.00 for dogs, all sizes, breeds and sex.

you do need a rabies shot because in most states (most likely all) it is the law. Its actually a public health issue.

I do agree that prices are ridiculous. But the love you get in return is far worth it. Maybe you should ship your babies to me, I'll do it for free for ya..haha.

crabby old man said...

30/30

Right Truth said...

Vet bills are not quite as expensive here, but still outrageous. That is a lot to pay for routine shots, at least it sounds like a lot to me.

In the past I don't think people took care of their pets like we do today, also there is so much more done in testing, x-rays, ultrasound, medications, than ever before.

And they still die.

I'm thinking about getting another puppy sometime, but not right away. We still have our old lab, 13 years old, who stays outside. Well, she has a condominium that we had built for her under out big screened porch.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

Jen said...

Vet$ and Dentist$!! They just can't justify the cost if you ask me.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting